[MPlayer-users] mplayer thanks & request

Andrew J. Yeckel ay2b at queue.org
Tue Oct 8 00:38:02 CEST 2002

First off, I would like to say "thank you" to everyone who has contributed
to developing mplayer.  I've recently been playing with various videos and
mplayer is the only program that I've found (under both Windows and Linux)
which has been able to play everything I've thrown at it.  I think the
support for such a wide range of codecs is fantastic.

Secondly, I have a feature request, and I was wondering what the correct
way to submit it would be.  I would very much like to be able to only play
"clips" from a file.  Specifically, I'd like to be able to specify, on the
command line, a start and end time/frame.  In conjunction with this, when
paused, I would like mplayer to print the current time/frame to the
screen, in the same format as is required by the commandline option.  (I
don't care if the format is min:sec:frame, or just absolute_frame, or even
just min:sec.)

I see in the FAQ, 5.6 Feature requests, that there is some difficulty with
maintaining A/V synchronization when seeking while paused, so I can
imagine that there might be some difficulty with starting play at some
location other than the start of the file, but I was wondering if anyone
had considered or tried this.

Thanks,
	Andy

--
"Those who would sacrifice essential liberty for temporary safety
 deserve neither liberty nor safety."