[MPlayer-users] more 4speaker questions

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Mon Oct 7 22:20:03 CEST 2002

Hi,

> > > someone told me that sb-live-5.1 can decode ac3 streams.... so is it
> > > possible to send the ac3 to the card, and have the card decode it?
> > > because it seems like that is happening in windows...
> >
> > I'm 100% sure sblive 5.1 does not have a hardware DD decoder, its such a cheap
> > card. It must be a software decoder. Windows is somewhat transparent about
> > these things.
>
> ok, it can be that windows is doing the decoding.

yes, the ac3 bitstream parsing is 100% sure done by driver, but i can imagine
that they utilize the card's DSP to do the IMDCT transformation and
downmixing. anyway it isn't possible under linux unless someone develop such
code (or RE. the win driver) for the emu10k1 DSP (there is opensource
assembler for that chip...)

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team