[MPlayer-users] more 4speaker questions

gabor gabor at realtime.sk
Mon Oct 7 21:37:02 CEST 2002

On Mon, 2002-10-07 at 20:50, Jukka Tastula wrote:
> On Monday 07 October 2002 21:38, gabor wrote:
>
> > 1.
> > when i'm playing an ac3(5.1) movie, ac3 5.1 means that it contains 6
> > (5?) mono audio channels. correct?
>
> Yes. DD has 5 discrete channels of audio and one lower band channel for
> subwoofer. That's why its called 5.1 and not 6.
>
> > 2.
> > i'm trying to use the sp/dif on my sb-live ( -afm hwac3 ) ( with no
> > success for now :-) ....
> > so let's assume it would work...
> > now that means that i send the ac3 data directly to the card. correct?
> > but now how does the card know if he should create 6channels or
> > 4channels? ( maybe this is not mplayer's problem, but maybe someone can
> > answer this )
>
> The card does not decode it so it does not need to know how many channels
> there are. That's why its called "passthrough". You need an external
> amplifier with DD decoder to actually hear the 6 channels.

now i see.....

but :-)

in windows ( i know, i know ) i can set the output to sp/dif and i can
still hear the sound......

someone told me that sb-live-5.1 can decode ac3 streams.... so is it
possible to send the ac3 to the card, and have the card decode it?
because it seems like that is happening in windows...

thanks,
gabor