[MPlayer-users] avi to vcd frame rate problems

GD Lewis gdltek1 at dfnow.com
Sat Oct 5 23:25:02 CEST 2002

On Fri, 2002-10-04 at 18:55, emaillist+mpu at dogphilosophy.net wrote:
> Perhaps this ought to be a FAQ if it's not already?  (I don't
> recall seeing it...).  Perhaps in the 'encoding' section?
>
> mencoder has a really simple and spiffy way of doing this:
>
> mencoder -ofps 25.000 -oac copy -ovc copy -o new_frame_rate.avi
> old_framerate.avi
>
> Then use new_frame_rate.avi as the input for generating the mpeg1 file.

Doesn't work for me.  I've tried it with many avi's and even though the
resultant avi will play fine with mplayer or Xine, once converted to an
mpeg, you end up with double speed video and normal audio.

> Quite honestly, this frame rate conversion feature is one of the spiffiest
> tricks I've run into in mplayer/mencoder, especially considering nobody
> else seems to do it at the moment (transcode/ffmpeg/etc.)
>
> FEATURE REQUEST - Any chance of getting the -ofps feature implemented
> in mplayer?  That's save the 'transcode' step, and mencvcd (or home-brew
> scripts) could generate NTSC/NTSC FILM/PAL VCD/SVCD correctly from any input
> with a combination of -ofps and -vop scale...

That might work, if the feed itself is moderated, it may resolve the
conversion issue during mplex.