[MPlayer-users] sharpen filter from ffdshow

Markus Liebl lieblm at troja.mayn.de
Wed Oct 2 15:33:02 CEST 2002

On Tue, 1 Oct 2002 22:48:52 +0200
Arpi <arpi at thot.banki.hu> wrote:

> mencoder already has sharpen filter... RTFM -ssf.
Yes, I know. I tried them without much success. What are good values for
them? (sharp edges / reduce noise)

What I am looking for:

Unsharp mask
This filter implements a well-known contrast enhancement/sharpening
technique called unsharp masking. The basic idea is that a blurred version
of the original image is created and then subtracted from the original
image. The resulting image will have contrast boosts around features in
the image. The result is a very pleasing sharpening that is superior to
simple sharpening with a convolution kernel or high-pass boost.

msharpen
Sharpens important edges in the image without amplifying noise. The filter
operates by detecting edges and then applying a sharpening kernel only in
the edge areas.

example for msharpen
original:
http://www.fh-landshut.de/~mliebl/cap0.bmp (1.3 MB)
filtered with msharpen:
http://www.fh-landshut.de/~mliebl/filt0.bmp (1.3 MB)
diffrence:
http://www.fh-landshut.de/~mliebl/diff0.bmp (1.3 MB)

Is this possible with -ssf cs/ls? Would be nice :-)

Bye,
Markus

--
Ich liebe Politiker auf Wahlplaketen: tragbar, geräuschlos, leicht zu
entfernen