[MPlayer-users] Vidix screen corruption with double buffering

Marcus Blomenkamp Marcus.Blomenkamp at epost.de
Wed Nov 27 11:28:03 CET 2002

Hi there.

Im still experiencing random screen corruptions when playing through xvidix
plugin. Not the content of the movie while playing but the desktop after
closing mplayer is destroyed. One can usually repair it by hiding and
unhiding windows plus changing virtual desktops. Just changing virtual
consoles does not work for me - maybe this would be different if I had
multiple X servers running.

It's also not window-manager dependant, as I first saw this effect on an Icewm
desktop and now on two different machines running kde-3.0.4 and kde-3.0.8.
The problem first appeared about half a year ago, so it's nothing freshly
broken.

Interestingly the problem only shows in double buffering mode. Single aka
normal buffering mode does not even produce the slightest problem.

I've seen this problem on a total of two machines, those are the only machines
I watch movies on and/or a vidix drivers are available for their video cards.
Both have ATI chips, Rage128 and mach64. They are now running linux-2.4.19
but the version should not matter anyway. XServers are XFree-4.1.0 and
XFree-4.2.1. Mobo Chipsets are 440BX and 440LX I think.

I made a screenshot of a window which had been partly masked by the movie
window but the corruption area is larger than the overlapped area. I did not
attach any standard output stuff, as nothing extraordinary showed up there.

screenshot also on:
http://home.teleos-web.de/mblomenkamp/

Marcus

--
Realität ist etwas für Menschen, die nicht mit Drogen umgehen können!