[MPlayer-users] tv card basics

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Tue Nov 26 14:17:10 CET 2002

On Mon, Nov 25, 2002 at 06:23:46PM +0100, Gábor Lénárt wrote:

> > But how much CPU power do you need to fluently encode full PAL in mpeg4 with a
> > bt8x8? I guess below 1.5GHz won't be enough?
>
> Dunno, however, AMD K6-2 450MHz was enough for me to encode various TV
> series into DivX with vcr in real time with an ooooooold bt848 based TV
> tuner card. However my eyes far from perfect so maybe you're right :)

Well, sure you can with minimal options (keyint=0 and no vhq), but
it's pointless since the resulting file will be huge (or else horrible
quality) and you'll have to reencode later anyway. On a system like
that it's best to encode with mjpeg or something simple to begin with
and then transcode to mpeg4 later.

Rich