[MPlayer-users] tv card basics

Jindrich Makovicka makovick at kmlinux.fjfi.cvut.cz
Mon Nov 25 20:57:04 CET 2002

Martin Collins wrote:

>[Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html]
>On Mon, 25 Nov 2002 17:40:43 +0100
>Dexter Filmore <Dexter.Filmore at gmx.de> wrote:
>

>>But how much CPU power do you need to fluently encode full PAL in
>>mpeg4 with a bt8x8? I guess below 1.5GHz won't be enough?
>>

>Does a bt8x8 even provide full PAL? I was under the impression that
>if you wanted full PAL you needed a card with hardware compression.
>
>If by "fluently" you mean "in real time" I think 1.5GHz is not enough,
>depending on how much pre-processing you do and your encoding
>parameters. For example: I have a Marvel G400 that records 720x576 at
>25fps to mjpeg using lavrec. Since mplayer cannot read these with a
>decent codec I have to convert to yuv then crop to 704xwhatever then
>denoise and deinterlace then encode to mpeg4 with a bitrate around
>1000 with mencoder. The results are good but it takes over 2 hours per
>10 minutes of video! I have a dual Athlon XP 1500+ (1.33GHz) machine
>with 512MB RAM and fast SCSI disc.
>I'm sure that if mencoder could read lavrec's files the process would be
>much quicker but probably not 12 times quicker.

720x544 w/ deinterlacing to mpeg4 & mp3 mono audio on a 1G duron with
~90% cpu load on a bt8x8. I guess 1.5GHz Athlon could even handle vhq
compression. But it can be better to capture in full pal, deinterlace
and then resize to something like 512x384 because full pal requires a
lot of bandwidth (> 1000kbps in mpeg4) to be useful.

--
Jindrich Makovicka