[MPlayer-users] tv card basics

James Lancaster james at kirk.math.twsu.edu
Mon Nov 25 20:41:03 CET 2002

On Monday 25 November 2002 10:40, you wrote:

> > > anything based on bt878 should be fine. my wintvgo is super. obviously
> > > mencoder does all the capture outside of the card itself.
>
> But how much CPU power do you need to fluently encode full PAL in mpeg4
> with a bt8x8? I guess below 1.5GHz won't be enough?

with 320x240 (NTSC) on a dual 800 P3 (note: only one cpu can be used to
encode) it usually gets about 50% (sometimes more sometimes less) usage on a
single cpu. I can't capture full 640x480.

Based on my estimates for getting full NTSC (400MHz *4) you would need at
least a 1200MHz P3 (with VERY little margin for error)

(looking up benchmarks for mpeg4 encoding (using non-fast codec (aka
divx4(win,linux))

James L