[MPlayer-users] audio sync problem

David C. Diemer daviddiemer at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 25 19:49:02 CET 2002

Ian:

I had the same problem. My solution, the drastic one, was to download the
.bz file, customize it, compile it, then install it. But that was for my
installation.  I had no problems with the pre9.0 release, only the pre10
release.  May backing off to the prior version will help.

In addition, you could try either of these two options:  add '-autosync 30'
to the command line or put 'autosync = yes' in your ~/.mplayer/config file.
This fixed some serious A/V problmes I had with pre9.0.  Also, you might
want to use '-idx' on the command line to force rebuilding of the INDEX of
the AVI if no INDEX was found.  Seeking will then be possible.  Of course,
you could also put 'idx = yes' in your ~/.mplayer/config file, too.

So what does 'autosync' do?  According to the man page, autosync gradually
adjusts the A/V sync based on audio delay measurements.  Specifying
-autosync 0, the default, will cause frame timing to be based entirely on
audio delay measurements.  Specifying -autosync 1 will do the same, but will
subtly  change the A/V correction algorithm used.  An uneven video frame
rate in a movie which plays fine with -nosound can often be helped by
setting this to an integer value greater than 1. The higher the value, the
closer the timing will be to -nosound. Try -autosync 30 to smooth out
problems with sound drivers which do not implement a perfect audio delay
measurement.  With this value, if large A/V sync offsets occur, they will
only take about 1 or 2 seconds to settle out. This delay in reaction time to
sudden A/V offsets should be the only side-effect of turning this op tion
on, for all sound drivers.

Dave