[MPlayer-users] playback -dumpaudio

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Sat Nov 23 21:52:02 CET 2002

On Sat, Nov 23, 2002 at 02:46:18PM -0400, Aravind Ceyardass wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I dumped the audio stream from an asf file using -dumpaudio. How do I
> play it back?
> I know the audio codec used(voxware). When I try to play it i get the
> error
> "Sorry, this file format is not recognized/supported". Searched the
> archives,read the
> man pages, tried using -ac.

You don't. Try -dumpstream instead next time to save the asf, then
transcode the audio with mencoder. -dumpaudio is only useful with raw
pcm or mp3 audio; for formats which need to be wrapped in something
else, it generates files that are just about useless.

If the material is really critical, it could be repaired by inserting
it into an avi stream with lots of manual work on your part, but
that's beyond the scope of my knowledge.

Rich