[MPlayer-users] jpeg sequence while encoding

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Sat Nov 23 07:51:02 CET 2002

On Fri, Nov 22, 2002 at 01:58:26PM -0800, Sycotic Smith wrote:
> > It won't work anyway. mencoder only takes ONE filename. -mf requires
> > the filename to be a glob-style mask that matches all the files you
> > want.
> >
> > The correct way to solve the problem here (until mencoder is enhanced
> > a good bit more) is to learn how to use symlinks!
> >
> > Rich
>
> What does symlinks have to do with the original question of using
> time-stamp? I use symlinks all the time, maybe even TOO often, to
> save on space on my system... I think my suggestion for allowing
> -playlist for mencoder MAY be a better way, although this is only
> MHO on the matter. In this way, he won't have to rename each file,
> or symlink it. Maybe another option would be for <him/her/someone
> else> to write a script to rename multiple files to a batch, like
> *.<jpg,gif,png,tif,etc> to 000001.<jpg,gif,png,etc>. I do recall
> seeing st like this out there, tho can't remember the name of the
> script.
>
> Still wondering what symlink has to do with time-stamp,

Well if you have a sequence of jpeg files you want to encode with -mf,
and mencoder isn't getting them in the right order, you could write a
quick one-line shell script to make symlinks to them in the correct
order, and then just point mencoder at your symlinks. Sorry for not
explaining better before. And I agree making mencoder support
playlists and multiple source files is a good idea in the long term,
but adding it just for use with -mf would be a bad hack, and making
encoding from multiple source files work well in general will take
some major design changes, and is probably best done after some of the
other changes planned on mencoder.

Rich