[MPlayer-users] Jpg in mp3

Clemens Wächter clemenswaechter at web.de
Wed Nov 20 13:05:03 CET 2002

On Wed, 20 Nov 2002 12:38:45 +0200
Yourself <sl4rtyb4rtf4st at yahoo.gr> wrote:

Warning! This mail contains humor about a serious subject.
Anyone who gets very upset about TCPA and co (like me) should
not read this, take it serious or try this at home.

> Quoting Diego Zuccato (diego at otello.alma.unibo.it) as `DZ'
> Message date: 20 Nov 2002 at 11:07
>
> DZ> Hello all.
> DZ>
> DZ> I was wandering if it could be possible to make mplayer display the jpg
> DZ> that's inside certain mp3s...
> DZ> Now the mp3 is played correctly, but "no video". log of mplayer -v is
> DZ> attached.
> DZ>
> DZ> Should I ul such mp3 file to the ftp ?
> DZ>
> DZ> Tks,
> DZ>  Diego.
>
> my gawd! why would anyone embed a jpg in an mp3? What are we to expect
> next? A microkernel embedded in the mp3 to be booted and thus play the
> mp3 "nicer"? A miniature version of the band's site? Oh, no, i got it:
> the latest antivirus definitions, "just in case".
>
> jeez...
>
> --
> yourself

No, I know what they are going to include. The big evil companies are going to
put a unique deciphering code into the file which includes a self-destruction
mode. So if you boot that mp3 and you are not licensed to hear it it will destroy
itself along with various other files on your system. The decrypting code is
currently developed to be very hard to crack, so that running in a debugger or
in a virtual environment should be almost impossible.
It is also planned that you leave your credit card number to the player software
which passes it to the self-decrypting mp3 which then verifies your account and
charges you.

The Marketing experts are currently thinking about a system which charges you
the right fee everytime you hear the file. Its just like coca cola planned to
charge you more if its very hot outside.

So lets all anticipate the new mp3 features which make mp3 even better for us
in everyday life!

Sorry... could not resist

Clemens