[MPlayer-users] libpng.so.2

gabor gabor at realtime.sk
Tue Nov 19 18:40:02 CET 2002

On Tue, 2002-11-19 at 18:16, Dominik Mierzejewski wrote:
> On Tuesday, 19 November 2002, gabor wrote:
> [...]
> > the problem is that for beginners the libpng.so.hell is unsolvable ...
>
> I've heard MDK 9 has an excellent urpmi tool that solves deps automatically?

it solves :-), but in this case simple there is a conflict between
libpng2.rpm and libnpg3.rpm

> > the problem is that his distribution (mdk9) uses libpng.so.3, but he's
> > trying to use rpm's made for a distrib which uses libpng.so.2 (redhat?).
>
> Probably so.
>
> > and you can't have libpng2.rpm + libpng3.rpm on your computer
> > (conflict).
>
> And that's where you're wrong. Consider this:
> $ rpm -q --whatprovides libqt.so.2
> qt2-2.3.1-3
> $ rpm -q --whatprovides libqt.so.3
> qt-3.0.3-11
>
> Same thing could be done with libpng.

i understand this, but simple libpng2 + libpng3 never worked for me...

maybe it's a mandrake-specific problem, but basically they want to
create the same symlink ( libpng.so? ), so when you want to install temp
'rpm -i' rpm reports a conflict... then of course you can force them,
but i won't recommend it to a beginner.

btw. i'm using mandrake9, and there are mandrake9 rpms for example in
plf ( http://plf.wwwhost.biz/files/9.0/i586/ ), but i don't use them ( i
use cvs )

bye,
gabor