[MPlayer-users] newbie's question

gabor gabor at realtime.sk
Mon Nov 18 12:38:02 CET 2002

On Mon, 2002-11-18 at 07:12, D.H wrote:
> Hi all:
>     I am new to linux and mplayer and have some questions that need
> your help.

first of all.... what mplayer distribution do you use?

did you download the source from www.mplayerhq.hu?
in that case, read my comments below..

did you download the rpms from www.mplayerhq.hu?
in that case read the comments on the rpm webpage

did you get the rpms/debs from your distribution ( mandrake,redhat,suse
whatever)?
in that case read your distribution manuals, contact the distribution
maintainers etc.

bye,
gabor

http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/documentation.html#gui

>     2. I cannnot play rm, asf, wmv and QuickTime files with mplayer,
> how can i make mplayer supports all         these video formats?

http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/codecs.html#realvideo..
basically you download realplayer for linux, and put his codec files
into /usr/local/lib/real

for asf,wmv you need the win32 codecs....
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/dload.html, and download the win32
codecs, and put them into $PREFIX/lib/win32 ( that means usually
/usr/local/lib/win32 )...

and do a ./configure;make;make install

did you read the FULL documentation?
"man mplayer" and the html documentation :
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/info.html ( and select documentation )

bye,
gabor

--
listening to the pillows - Blues Drive Monster
gpg key at www.keyserver.net