[MPlayer-users] mp3PRO support

Christof Buergi christof at buergi.lugs.ch
Sun Nov 17 18:13:02 CET 2002

Am Donnerstag, 14. November 2002 22.15 schrieb Jan Knutar:
> I had for fun a blind test over IRC with some people... 1 guy said
> WMA at 64kbps was better than the original uncompressed... Another guy
> only spotted difference between mp3 at 64kbps and the rest (including
> mp3pro)...

*g*, yes, such hickup may happen. However, the test I took part was
quite well organized, with many participants. Also, the overall result
matched up pretty well with my own. I tested with a good stereo, high
quality headphones, and I'm aware of good audio quality. I, for
example, don't use 'lame -h', because I hear artifacts on some titles.

So, all in all, I'm pretty confident in this test. Please note,
however, that on 128kbps stereo, every recent codec delivers a
reasonable quality. OTOH, on 64kpbs stereo, OggVorbis (or MP3Pro) make
plain old MP3 sound like my old long wave radio.