[MPlayer-users] problems with getting video

Brian Kreulen apocalypse29_99 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 13 22:45:02 CET 2002

Hello everyone, I'm running mplayer version
0.90pre9-3.2 on RedHat 8.0, kernal version 2.4.18-14.
I didn't do a RPM, I compiled and installed it myself.
I have a Creative Labs Viper 770 Ultra, with the Riva
TNT2 Ultra chipset.

I've tested an avi file, and an mpg (both of which I
know are good), and I'm getting some bad results, ie:
the sound is good, but there's absolutely no video.

I've tried every single -vo option I can think of:

-The default framebuffer option gives: "Can't open
/dev/fb0: No such device" (I've confirmed its
existence)

-The -vo x11 option gives: "Error opening/initializing
the selected video_out (-vo) device!" I'm almost
certain my X server is running smoothly because I can
bring up Xterms and such like that.

-The -vo vesa option gets the furthest. It actually
recognizes the video codec, but at the end it just
says: "Killed" with no explanation.

-All the other -vo options give similiar results.

I've tried all these options as both root and as a
regular user, with varying results, but all without
the video. Sometimes it crashes before it gets going.
Sometimes it starts playing the video, but with sound
only. I never get any video.

If anyone has ANY ideas, or if you need more info,
please don't hesitate to send me any suggestions, no
matter how stupid. I've tried everything in the FAQs,
the Docs, and on Google and I've found nothing that
worked.

Thanks!!

=====
Brian Kreulen