[MPlayer-users] ANNOUNCE: Quicktime DLLs HOWTO

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Wed Nov 13 19:13:02 CET 2002

Hi,

ok, too many people asked me about how to get teh qt dlls (for svq3 video,
qdmc/qdm2 audio etc) working.

so, i put together a quick howto, can be found in CVS
DOCS/tech/qt-libwine-howto.txt but here is it included:

How to get win32 quicktime audio/video codec plugins support work?

1. Get the latest wine source. Some leech urls:
    http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/ALPHA/wine/development/Wine-20021031.tar.gz
    ftp://ftp.infomagic.com/pub/mirrors/linux/sunsite/ALPHA/wine/development/Wine-20021031.tar.gz
    ftp://ftp.fu-berlin.de/unix/linux/mirrors/sunsite.unc.edu/ALPHA/wine/development/Wine-20021031.tar.gz
    ftp://orcus.progsoc.uts.edu.au/pub/Wine/development/Wine-20021031.tar.gz
   Compile and install it:
    ./configure
    make
    make install

2. Get mplayer CVS (RTFM...) (today snapshot is too old for this),
   and compile this way:
     ./configure --disable-win32  (--disable-win32 is VERY important)
   add '#define USE_QTX_CODECS' to config.h
   and run:  make mplayer.exe.so

3. Get the quicktime DLLs & wine config pack:
   [ftp|http]://mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/qt-dotwine.tar.bz2
   If you already have ~/.wine, backup it:
       mv ~/.wine ~/.wine.orig
   Extract the tarball in your home dir:
       cd
       tar -xjf qt-dotwine.tar.bz2

4. Launch mplayer with wine:
	wine z:/path/to/mplayer/main/mplayer.exe.so -- file.mov [options]

   You can also create a wrapper script to emulate 'old' mplayer behaviour:
   Create a file called 'mplayer' with content:
        wine z:/path/to/mplayer/main/mplayer.exe.so -- $*
   then: chmod +x mplayer

NOTES:
   Note 1: when first time starting wine, it will create a FONT database, it
   may take a while... don't worry, it won't be rebuild next time!

   Note 2: wine/quicktime DLLs fork several processes/threads, they
   somehow don't die at exit and keep eating your memory in the background,
   so it's recommended to 'killall wine' after running mplayer this way...

   Note 3: yes we all know this is messy hack, and we're working on a
   cleaner solution, using the minimalist loader included in mplayer
   instead of all the bloat coming with libwine.

   Note 4: due to --disable-win32, you cannot use vfw/acm/dshow and quicktime
   DLLs at the same time.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team