[MPlayer-users] XCD

Michael Waters stonin at rogers.com
Tue Nov 12 19:25:02 CET 2002

On Tue, Nov 12, 2002 at 13:09 -0500, D Richard Felker III wrote:
> > > Or buy a dvd which supports divx instead of destroying the quality of the
> > > movie. (Yes, there are dvds which play divx now)
> >
> > Maybe I misunderstand you but XCD doesn't degrade the quality of a
> > divx.  XCD is just a way of making a 800mb mpeg4 file instead of 700mb
> > and fitting it on a 80min CD.  The ones I've come across are xvid mpeg4
>
> I think by destroy the quality, he meant the fact that XCD lacks error
> correction info, so if the CD gets scratched, you're pretty much out
> of luck...

Yeah, I wasn't sure what he meant.  What you say made me also wonder
about XCD but according to the people that post them, they've
abuse-tested their CDRs and the OGM container (unlike avi) apparently
has built-in error tolerance and is resilient to scratches, cuts, etc,
on the CD.  The effected area on the CDR may lose some data which shows
as distorted video/audio however, the damage is only to the bit of the
file that's scratched and the movie will continue to play.  I haven't
tested this myself but I've had no problems with the few xcds I've
tried.  I can see why people would want to make xcds since it's
basically a mpeg4-vcd in concept and the extra space means a better
looking video.