[MPlayer-users] DVDs slow on a 2Ghz P4?

pl p_l at gmx.fr
Sun Nov 10 23:44:02 CET 2002

* Mike Perry <mikepery at fscked.org> [2002-11-10 12:24]:
> I'm having performance issues playing DVD's on a 2.0 Ghz P4 laptop (Dell
> SmartStep 200N). The video is choppy and just can't sync up with the
> audio.
>
> My video card is an ATI Radeon Mobility, and I'm using the Gatos drivers.
> My sound card is an Intel 82801BA/BAM AC97, and I'm using OSS drivers for
> it. Nothing else is using the sound card (I checked with fuser).
>
> The DVD drive is an IDE device, and has DMA enabled.
>
> I've tried numerous combinations of options with mplayer (dga, xv, x11,
> fbdev, and sdl for video out, and oss and sdl for audio out), and nothing seems
> to help. Not even -framedrop.
>
> I'm using mplayer 0.90pre9. Anyone have any suggestions? It seems quite
> odd that a 2 Ghz laptop should have performance issues with this stuff..

Does it play fine without sound ?

FWIW, with OSS sound drivers on dell laptops I have had to add:
 alias sound i810_audio
 add options i810_audio clocking=48000
for the kernel module options otherwise the sound sometimes goes
wrong...

Trying and launching mplayer with -cache may help too.

--
Best regards,
  pl