[MPlayer-users] Playing WMA files

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Sun Nov 10 16:00:02 CET 2002

Hi,

> Arpi, I will try to play this file with the Windows Media Player under
> wine.
it won't work

it won't even work if you copy the file to another windows and try to play
there. also won't work if you re-install the windows or change the hw.
(it has the goal: copy protection)

afaik, a special key is generated using windows serial (and other) numbers,
hw parameters/numbers etc. then this key is somehow passed to the server and
used to encrypt the file at server side. so only that machine will be able
to play the file which downloaded it (after sending its own key to server).

i'm not a crypto expert, i'm not even interested (and have big knowledge) on
crypto stuff, but imho it's hard to crack.

the only(?) simple way is writing an app which runs on teh same machine
where you can play it, and "emulates wmp" using the same crypto DLLs
and hw/registry/etc info, so it will get it decoded. there exists a such
program, using portions of openssl for crypto stuff, and using the same DLLs
(including that blackbox.dll) as used by wmp for key exchange.

i don't remember the URL, but there was an article about it on register.com,
about half year ago.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team