[MPlayer-users] maximum space

Chris Phillips chris at thirtythreeandathird.net
Sat Nov 9 20:33:02 CET 2002

> CP> filesize = length * (video_bitrate + audio_bitrate)
> CP> hardly complicated. of course if you can't be arsed to even do that, try
> CP> my program... http://acidrip.thirtythreeandathird.net . And eitherway,
> CP> with 3-pass encoding mencoder DOES recommend a bitrate.
>
> ... hardly rocket science EXCEPT that the codecs appear to be VBR...
> and i've tried using the calculated settings and i'm getting much
> smaller files than it says (which isn't a bad thing and they look
> fine. so it's not a big issue for DVD rips)

well divx uses a variable bitrate yes, but you can still get an accurate
approximation. i use that simple equation, and using abr on mp3 my files
are nearly *always* 683 to 686 megabytes. works great, however approximate
it might be.

> But i'd also like to use the program to encode motion graphics etc
> that i create for distro across the net. my video, so it's not going
> to be for CDs... so the estimations that mplayer gives me aren't
> neccesarily that useful.

good for you. i still say calculations are fine, assuming you can make
reasonable assumptions about the source video.

chris
xxxx