[MPlayer-users] Ripped DVD got wrong aspect ratio?

martin pavon martin_199ar at yahoo.com.ar
Fri Nov 8 19:16:02 CET 2002

 --- Diego Zuccato <diego at otello.alma.unibo.it> escribió: > [Automatic
answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read
> DOCS/bugreports.html]
>
> I haven't access to that machine from here. And I read about scale only
> after encoding the movie. More, TFM cited it relative to VCDs, not DVDs.
> More again, WHY IN THE HELL should one think about using a scale option
> if NO SCALING is desired ???

Hummm !!!! I'm not an expert, but I think scaling is desired ....

> I followed the (IMO) most logical path: I want a 3-CD rip (for really
> hi-quality) of the DVD. I don't want to mess the video part too much,
> and the "native" resolution is good for me (if you scale to anything
> that's not an integer divisor of the source you lose more quality - then
> I keep the source resolution). So I use the minimum number of options,
> better if taken from someone that already used 'em.

But, how long is the movie? ... The quality  is not only an issue of the
resolution. Sometime ago (one or two months) there was a very interesting
discution about this in the trasncode ML (I think I can find the link to
the thread if you want). The point is  you must keep an eye in the bit per
pixels too;  is very posible that a  720x480 movie looks worse than the
same movie at 640x272 at the same videobitrate... Of course 3 cds are
enough, but may be that scaling you achived the same quality in 2cds...

Martin

Ahora podés usar Yahoo! Messenger desde tu celular. Aprendé cómo hacerlo en Yahoo! Móvil: http://ar.mobile.yahoo.com/sms.html