[MPlayer-users] Ripped DVD got wrong aspect ratio?

Diego Zuccato diego at otello.alma.unibo.it
Fri Nov 8 16:31:02 CET 2002

Chris Phillips wrote:

> > But TFM says just "-vop scale" without parameters... Is -1:-2 the
> > default?
> TFM says:
> scale[=w:h[:c[:p]]]
>     Scales the image with the software scaler (slow) and performs a
>     YUV<->RGB colorspace conversion (see -sws  option  too).   The
>     value 0 is used for scaled (aspect) destination w/h.  (default:
>     original w/h, destination  w/h  with  -zoom)  Optionaly  chroma
>     skipping  (c from 0-3) and scaling parameters can be specified.
>     (see the -sws option for details)
>
> so all this stupidly long drawn out and sidetracked thread was started
> when you'd not even bothered to try an option you already knew about, and
> is even called "scale"???
I haven't access to that machine from here. And I read about scale only
after encoding the movie. More, TFM cited it relative to VCDs, not DVDs.
More again, WHY IN THE HELL should one think about using a scale option
if NO SCALING is desired ???
I followed the (IMO) most logical path: I want a 3-CD rip (for really
hi-quality) of the DVD. I don't want to mess the video part too much,
and the "native" resolution is good for me (if you scale to anything
that's not an integer divisor of the source you lose more quality - then
I keep the source resolution). So I use the minimum number of options,
better if taken from someone that already used 'em.

If ignoring aspect header when encoding from mpeg (but NOT when playing)
is a feature, it's a really strange one. I'd call it bug if it wasn't
(at least partially) documented...

BYtE,
 Diego.