[MPlayer-users] Ripped DVD got wrong aspect ratio?

Diego Zuccato diego at otello.alma.unibo.it
Fri Nov 8 11:15:02 CET 2002

Dominik Szczerba wrote:

> why are people using vqmin=1?? Does it really improve?
Boh? If it does, well. If not, amen. At least I hope it doesn't degrade
it.

> >It all goes well (well... except it takes about 5h20', but I think
> on my PIV 2GB it goes ~30-50 fps each pass...
I think some heavy screensaver kicked in... When looking at it it was at
more than 100fps per pass.

> >BUT when I play Ryan.avi it's 4:3
> >instead of 16:9 ! :-(
I mean: "distorted"/"anamorphic"/"to play with -aspect_16:9", not "16:9
+ black bars to make it 4:3" !

> ha! you didnt do anything about it so why should it be OK? You have to
Because in the vob there aren't black borders. It's a native 16:9.
> crop it first (-vop cropdetect to guess, -vop rectangle=w:h:x:y to
> finetune) and scale it to proper resolution (something like -vop
> scale=640:336,crop=714:464:2:6), see my last email for good resolutions
> list.
Maybe "-vop scale" is required. But for sure there's nothing to crop :-)

BYtE,
 Diego.