[MPlayer-users] Ripped DVD got wrong aspect ratio?

Diego Zuccato diego at otello.alma.unibo.it
Fri Nov 8 11:07:01 CET 2002

Dominik Szczerba wrote:

> >I'm just startingmy DVD-ripping experience. I bought "Saving private
> >Ryan" and ripped it (w/ vobcopy).
> why dont you just rip with mplayer? it's always healthy to avoid mixing different software.
I tried it first (just to avoid installing too many programs):
mencoder -ovc copy -oac copy -dvd 1 -aid 129 -o Ryan.avi

But the resulting file is (obviously!) greater than 2Gb and so
(guess...) is not a valid avi file.
I don't want to read the DVD multiple times (drive is quite slow, and
I'm going to use an even slower -but more versatile- HyperSCSI-driven
networked drive). That's the only thing I don't want to change unless
doing otherwise is impossible.

I'd prefer a 3-pass encoding since "someone" told the result is better
(at least the size is closer to what I want to perfetly fill my CDs).

PS: when doing :vpass=1 can I use -o /dev/null as I saw in another mail?
This should speed up the thing a bit, but TFM uses -o file.avi ...

BYtE,
 Diego.