[MPlayer-users] Problems with NTSC - summary

Martin Pavon martin_199ar at yahoo.com.ar
Fri Nov 8 01:31:01 CET 2002

On Thu, Nov 07, 2002 at 11:22:48PM +0000, Dominik Szczerba wrote:
>   Hi,
>
> Thank you all who submitted hints on this. This is what I finally ended
> up with:
>
> - some NTSC dvds wont play/rip on some DVD drives while they will
> play/rip on others. I tried a few NTSC 29.97 fps movies on a few computers.
>
> - those, who rip/play correctly: I specify a (suggested by 1st pass
> encoding or calculated myelf) bitrate, but it is wrongly passed to
> encoder. I need to myltiply the desired bitrate by ~1.2 ( I guess that's
> from 25/29.97, no?) to get proper file length (and bitrate used). So I
> have to say br=1200 if I want br=1000 and a filesize coresponding to 1000.

Hi,

Are you sure yours dvds are ntsc 29.97?

I remember I had this problem when I begun with mencoder. If I played the vob
with mplayer, it said 29.97 fps. When I passed this value to mencoder I got
a file shorter than I calculate... Some day I proved the vob with transcode
(a fine piece of software, but has serious problems with A/V sync with ntsc
dvd) and it said fps: 23.976 which seems the standar for no television movies.
I tried with ofps=23.976 and the expected size and the final size of the files
became very closed.

I'm not completly sure, but I believe that all the vob files that I display
with mplayer said  29.97 fps, I don't know if this is some kind of error or
I'm doing something wrong.

> - all above problems dont apply to PAL dvds (tested some 10 or so)

afaik pal hasn't the to flavors 23.976/29.97 as ntsc has...

Regards,

--
Martín Pavón
martin_199ar at yahoo.com.ar