[MPlayer-users] Re: mplayer and low end machines

Stephen Stocker lpar at par1.net
Fri Nov 8 01:27:02 CET 2002

On Thu, 7 Nov 2002 mplayer-users-request at mplayerhq.hu wrote:

> I understand that I cannot play full DVD's with it (well, software DVD players
> requires at least Pentium 350 + 128MB RAM), but I was wondering how good will
> it be when it comes to playing AVI, DiVX3/4/5 files in a window or in full
> screen? any good suggestions for tweaking to make it run fast? (I'm using KDE
> 3 but I can switch to Window Maker of XFCE if needed)..

  I'm using a Pentium 200 MMX, 128MB (only 64MB set for Linux) w/SVGAlib,
and speed really hasn't been a problem. The video card's a Trident TGUI
9440, which is hardly a speed-demon. :) The experience I've had with
MPlayer has been really amazing. For the rare file that gives you trouble,
just don't try full screen. It really isn't necessary for great viewing,
anyway. About the only drawback is that my card's apparently not VESA 2
compatible, so I'm left with only SVGAlib/SDL.

  A big thanks to the MPlayer people for a great piece of software!

	Take care,
	Steve