[MPlayer-users] mplayer and low end machines

Roberto De Leo deleo at unica.it
Thu Nov 7 21:54:01 CET 2002

>>Still, I'd expect that if I had a G400 [i.e. a card with hw support for YUV
>>colorspace] on a PI 100 then I'd be able to play smoothly in fullscreen any
>>DivX and probably even a DVD, since I can play smoothly a DivX, even
>>though with no fullscreen, already on a PI 166!
>>

>Hmm, I assume you're using -framedrop and your movies are 320x240 or
>so. AFAIK P166 doesnt even have MMX, which is almost necessary for
>DCT-based codecs (MPEG*) to be fast.

My P166 _has_ MMX, luckily :-)

No, I was referring to playbacks without -framedrop, but after I wrote
the message
I made some test and got only horrible quality playbacks. Unfortunately
lately
I recompiled mplayer with different options so this test does not mean
much,
but I'll definitely go asap back to some past configuration and let you
know if
I had had allucinations or it really exists some configuration able to
do what I claimed.
I am pretty sure of it but I am not going to claim it anymore until I
see it again.

> And then there's the fact that
>the PCI bus is too slow for high-res video, especially in RGB space
>where you can't transfer downsampled U/V planes. My K6-2/450 is even
>slightly too slow to play dvds without -framedrop, so I really doubt
>there's any way you could play them on P100...

Well, ok, I hadn't thought to the problem of the speed of the PCI bus.
BTW, I guess you are referring to the bus speed increase from 66MHz to
100MHz,
right?

Thanks again for your technical comments,
 Roberto