[MPlayer-users] mplayer and low end machines

Green, Shaun Shaun.Green at msfc.nasa.gov
Thu Nov 7 21:15:02 CET 2002

>No, MUCH slower. Anything RGB-based is slow (non-xv SDL, x11, svgalib,
>dga, fbdev, ...). Anything that involves multiple copying or
>conversion steps is slow (x11, xv, X-based SDL). Those listed in both
>categories are doubly slow. The fast vo's are the direct access
>YUV-space ones (mga, xmga, vesa:vidix, xvidix, tdfxfb).

> I'm using an AMD Athlon 1.2 Ghz.

>Then it doesn't matter what vo you use.

Well, I've seen small sporadic jumps in movies sometimes even with -vo xv.
So I'd still like to use the fastest possible :o) Of course then I stepped
back just to make sure the movie wasn't bad.

So could I just use syntax like;

mplayer -vo vesa:vidix -nortc -fs -double foo.avi

and also replace vidix with xvidix in the above command?

Does an NVIDIA based card (Geforce), support use of vidix? I don't remember
vidix being an available codec when I compiled pre9 -

Thanks,

Shaun