[MPlayer-users] question: sound ok, but absolutely no video

Brian Kreulen apocalypse29_99 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 6 20:30:03 CET 2002

Hey! Thank you very much for responding....

> Basic. You're running X11, aren't you? Then you have
> to use one of the
> corresponding drivers. fbdev is for fbdev (which is
> not X11).
>
> > Diamond Viper V770 AGP w/ 32 megs
>
> Now I don't know what chipset this card uses. But
> you may try the
> following drivers:
>
> xvidix / xv / dga / sdl / x11 / vesa

The Viper card uses the RIVA TNT 2 Ultra (Nvidia) chip
set.

I've confirmed that I have sdl installed (version
1.2.4-5).

I've tried every '-vo XXX driver' that you suggested.
I also looked up SDL in the video.html page in the
DOCS directory. It suggested using -vo sdl:name. I
tried that with every single option as well, such as
-vo sdl:vesa, etc. No luck....

The closest I've come is by using -vo vesa. Here is
what happens when I do that:

---- skipped conf stuff and sound codec stuff-----
Opening video decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg's libavcodec
codec family
Selected video codec: [ffdivx] vfm:ffmpeg (FFmpeg DivX
;-) (MS MPEG-4 v3))
AO: [oss] 48000Hz 2ch Signed 16-bit (Little-Endian)
Building audio filter chain for 48000Hz/2ch/16bit ->
48000Hz/2ch/16bit...
Start playing...
VDec: vo config request - 512 x 384 (preferred csp:
Planar YV12)
VDec: using Planar YV12 as output csp (no 0)
Movie-Aspect is undefined - no prescaling applied.
VO: [vesa] 512x384 => 512x384 Planar YV12
Killed

Why does it die??? It doesn't even give a reason!

> Please note, that for xvidix, dga and vesa, you must
> run mplayer as
> root. For sdl, it might be necessary as well.

Every time I've made a change or wanted to try
something new, I've tried it as root.

Sigh... thanks for any help you can give....

=====
Brian Kreulen