[MPlayer-users] Quality of DVD rips

Jan Kroken jankr at ifi.uio.no
Tue Nov 5 19:42:06 CET 2002

Hi.

I've tried ripping a few DVD's with mencoder. Mostly, the quality is
tolerable, but one of the DVD's was a concert DVD, and when it came to
black shadows in front of blinking/moving bright colored light, the
quality became totally crap (it looked like the resolution dropped to
below 80x60). Is there a trick to avoid this?

Also, I had to use 2/3 pass encoding using the libavcodec controller.
I tried the first examples in section 2.4.2.1 of the encoding doc,
but I had to stop the encoding when the result file passed 1 gb
at about 10% encoded. That also happened on the 3-pass encoding
when I explicit set the bitrate displayed for 650mb.

In addition, I tried ripping tracks from a 5 track dvd, and only
track 2 and 4 (specified as -dvd 3 / 5) came out ok, on the 3
others, the sound was white noise.

All of this was with MPlayer-0.90pre9

--
Jan Kroken