[MPlayer-users] how to avoid de-interlacing with mencoder?

Balazs Lengyak mplayer at kign.org
Sun Nov 3 22:47:02 CET 2002

> Well, no deinterlacing happens unless you specify it with -vop
> pp=(something). What I suspect is happening is that the divx compression
> creates the undesireable effects. There's a possibility that you might
> be able properly deinterlace the video BEFORE encoding, but I'm not
> familiar with what you describe.
I've seen interlaced DVDs but its different. As I said below, the
scanlines differ not only in motion, but in color. So the proper de-interlace
should average the colors of the two following frames or something? This
could be an entry in the to-do list;)

Maybe the avi is not interleaved itself, but the original VCR recording :(

> Upload a sample portion of your video to
I uploaded a 15s sample under the name:
deinterlace_problem_when_re-encoding.avi along with a .txt describing
what's been said here.

And again, here is the prob:
> > I have a avi file with mjpeg compression. It was recorded from a VCR
> > with PCTV Pro + xawtv.
> > Since mjpeg is not that efficient I decided to encode it to divx4.
> >
> > Problem is this: the original video has a strange interleave that
> > looks like
> > red and green colors are in different frames (and scanlines of course).
> > After deinterlace, the result is a reddish-greenish-flashing video.
> > The picture is ok, but the constant 24Hz flashing is unbearable.
> >
> > Now my question is how to avoid de-interlacing? I tried to dig through
> > documentations and manual, tried a few things, none worked. I tried
> > divx4linux and libavcodecs too, same result.

Thanks in advance,

Regards,
Balazs