[MPlayer-users] BUGREPORT Option stop_xscreensaver brings some trouble along

Jonas Jermann jjermann at gmx.net
Sat Nov 2 14:40:04 CET 2002

On Sat, Nov 02, 2002 at 01:39:57PM +0100, Christoph Grimmer wrote:
> Hi!
> First of all: I'm not subscribed and I don't want to, but I do hope
> you will accept this bugreport anyway. Because I strongly believe,
> that bugreports are the duty of any person using free and
> noncommercial software. This for that.
>
> I downloaded the new pre9 as RPM. I'm running redhat-7.3 and I'm using
> gnome as a windowmanager. When I tried the new stop_xscreensaver
> option, I ran into some problems:
>
> 1. When watching a movie from a CD you can't umount the CD afterwards
>    because the xscreensaver is started from the actual directory
>    (i.e. /mnd/cdrom/). Therefore the device is busy and can't be
>    unmountet until an "killall xscreensaver" took care of that...
>
> 2. Second problem is, that for some reason mplayer wont give away the
>    audio device while the new xscreensaver is running. I couldn't
>    listen to music (or start a new esd) until I, again, killed the
>    xscreensaver.

I suppose some unclean finish of audio/video/whatever driver.
The bug existed before and was solved (by Albeu?), but afair it's
driver dependent, so it may still exist for some (do you use
latest cvs?). Anyway, read bugreports.html for this!

> I recommend to start the xscreensaver from the user's home, this
> should be a simple workaround. About the sound device I don't know,
> I'm no hacker.

IMHO the whole xscreensaver stuff should change, it produces
many other "unpleasant" things too (e.g. multi file playback).
But afaik it's mainly a design problem of xscreensaver and not
mplayer. Shouldn't the xscreensaver decide to stay deactivated
instead of the programs? Maybe I missed some points but till now
it's ugly (IMHO).... Donno

But probably nobody is willing to fix the things you mentioned
in mplayer as there are more important things to do....

Regards
    Jonas