[MPlayer-users] mplayer is too efficient!

Felix von Leitner leitner at convergence.de
Fri Nov 1 22:45:02 CET 2002

Thus spake j.a.l (j.a.l at free.fr):
> just for fix : this guy've afford an xp 2000 and cause he's not able to
> fix fans and cooling, he want it to work slower ???

Excuse me, but are you stoned?

Mencoder caused my CPU to pump out more heat than any kernel compile or
3d graphics rendering stuff or even Windows game or benchmark before
that and I posted that fact to this list to show how efficient mplayer
has become.  It is very difficult to write real code (as opposed to some
fictional benchmark that does not do anything useful) that actually uses
all functional units in a modern CPU, and mplayer apparently managed to
do it.  This shows that the mplayer code really is extremely well
optimized.

I did not ask for mplayer or my computer to be slowed down.  Neither did
I offer my computer for grabs.

Now, please, if you don't understand a message on this list, just don't
reply to it.  It will only make you look bad.

Felix