[MPlayer-users] DVD playback Q

P'ip blitzoid at lanvancouver.com
Fri Nov 1 08:06:02 CET 2002

Okay, mplayer works excellent except when it comes
to DVD playback... I installed the DVD drive, did
a 'ln -s /dev/cdrom /dev/dvd/', and everything
was great. I open up mplayer and opened a mounted
dvd. In the VIDEO_TS dir, I opened the first .vob
I saw. (DVD was 'UHF'). It opened up the MGM DVD
logo movie, played it, and finished. It was great.

Then I tried loading a .vob from the actual movie...
wouldn't work. At all. It gave me the regular 'This
file format is not recognized/supported'. Since the
first .vob worked, I'm guessing the actual movie
files are encrypted somehow... I read the mplayer
docs, couldn't find anything on it.

mplayer was set up as so: ./configure --enable-gui,
make, make install, and I have all the regular codecs
in /usr/lib/win32. I went into libmpvdkit2 and did a 'make'
before doing the config to see if that changed anything...
it didn't (As far as I saw.). Any help would be
greatly appreciated.