[MPlayer-users] problems with NTSC

Dominik Szczerba domi at vision.ee.ethz.ch
Fri Nov 1 01:21:01 CET 2002

>>1)  23.976, 29.97 or 25: what do I choose? MPlayer says my vobs are
>>29.97... How do I know about NTSC dvds? With European dvds I always used
>>25...
>>

>Almost all NTSC DVD's are 23.976. The only exceptions are ones that
>were originally made for TV broadcast or VHS, e.g. DVD's of TV series,
>some anime, etc. MEncoder will make it clear to you very quickly if
>you pick the wrong -ofps... :)

at least pre6 doesnt unfortunately warn me about that. I just tried ~1h
dvd with 1600kbps without -ofps (29.xxx was taken) and I got a loooooong
banana (almost 2GB with 128kbps audio) which is kindof weird. But at
least sunc problems are gone, I left out -noskip as you guys advised. I
am just encoding again with forcing 23.x and praying this time it will
finally be fine (_sigh_)

*

And I am aware of legal stuff ;) but 1) come on! 2) lots of my encodings
are for backups (quite rare stuff) and convinience/storage/playback. I
really dont like dvd's at all (they suxx just like cd's) - artificially
pumped up to useless size; also one stupid scratch and you can throw it
away.

Therefore thank you, MPlayer developers :)

>>2) why do you use lavc and not divx4 501?
>>

>Because divx is proprietary and sucks. The 'pro' divx5 for windows
>arguably has some advantages over lavc, but the basic one and the
>linux version are just junk. Tweak -lavcopts and you'll get much
>better quality with lavc!
>
>Rich

thanks for a hint. I am just giving it a try.

bye
domi