[MPlayer-users] Total movie-length

anders at gnulinux.dk anders at gnulinux.dk
Fri May 31 18:23:02 CEST 2002

Hello

Is there any way to make mplayer tell you the total length of a movie?
Like the autocrop that tells you where to cut :-) It must be in there just
can't find it...

The movie-length is so that I can calculate how high a video bitrate I can
use. Is this formula correct?

total_mb = (video_bitrate + audio_bitrate) * movie_length_in_seconds * fps

I've read in the DOCS/tech/libavc-rate-control.txt that the size also
depends on the number of keyframes. I'm not a big movie expert but
shouldn't it also depend on the number of b,i and p frames used?

It would be great if someone had a document which explained some of this :)

Before I report this as a bug I just wanted to know if it's just me
fucking with the settings:

I coded a dvd with the libav-codec and it's very nice quality but when I
seek - the image almost gets stuck (I have a little bit of the old image
and a little bit of the new ;)) for a few seconds before it continues
normally. This was detected on both mplayer and windows media player ;)

Thanx for any help.

--
Anders Rune Jensen
jabber: superduck at myjabber.net | email : anders at gnulinux.dk