[MPlayer-users] encoding ac3

anders at gnulinux.dk anders at gnulinux.dk
Fri May 31 17:56:02 CEST 2002

Hi

I'm playing around with some dvd's and mencoder and the following question
popped up: Is it possible to encode ac3 audio with mencoder? The Docs
states that mencoder supports the following codecs: copy, pcm and mp3.
What I don't really understand is: "is ac3 a codec?" Or can I encode ac3
audio with the mp3 codec? Will the copy "codec" just copy and raw and keep
the ac3 "uncompressed"?

This is what mencoder tells me about the audio:

AC3: 5.1 (3f+2r+lfe)  48000 Hz  384.0 kbit/s

Which is a quite high bitrate ;-)

Thanx in advance for any help.

--
Anders Rune Jensen