[MPlayer-users] divx B frames problem

Michal Seliga michal.seliga at visicom.sk
Wed May 29 10:23:01 CEST 2002

I serached both docs and archives and I cannot find anything about it

I encoded various videos from mpg to divx using lavc mpeg4 and I switched B
frames on (I think it was option vmax_b_frames=xx, I don't remember, sorry)

video played well with mplayer but it doesn't play with windows media player and
divx5.1pro codec installed. Problem is that sometimes one frame is completely
broken. I think that it cannot play B frames generated by mencoder's libavcodec...

I tried to change 'DIVX'  in avi to 'DX50' but it didn't help. (I though that B frames are
for divx5.0 and higher... but it made no change for playing)

Is there something special I have to do to make video with B frames playable in
windows media player?

I would like to use Bframes in encoding - video gets realy much smaller (about 10%
in my case) while looked the same quality....

I don't send bugreport because somehow I think it is not bug only I missed something
;-) But for any case:

mplayer-0.90pre4, gcc-3.0.4, Duron 700, kernel 2.4.18mdk, mandrake 8.2