[MPlayer-users] about the mms:// support/problems Fwd: Re: Re: [MPlayer-dev-eng] [BUG] in mms support

Georgi Georgiev chutz at chubaka.homeip.net
Mon May 27 03:02:02 CEST 2002

On Sun, May 26, 2002 at 02:08:39PM +0200, Felix Buenemann wrote:

> > > using DNAT helps, BUT only for a single computer, so not multiple systems
> > > behind a NAT/Masq-Router can use it, unless there are special
> > > masquerading modules, which are rarely available especially for iptables.
> >
> > Took me a while to figure out what you mean, but I guess it is that with
> > the mms protocol we don't have a choice of a UDP port?  Unfortunately I do
> > not understand things as well as I wish, and it is not clear to me why a
> > UDP port cannot be negotiated rather than having it fixed (having in mind
> > that I am a *CLIENT*). Or maybe I am talking nonsense...
> you are :) I just pinted out that DNAT only can forward a specific port to
> _one_ host behind the router, which is a problem if you have multiple hosts
> behind the firewall that want to use the service that is portforwarded.
> However there is a workaround to this as some software allows to speicify the
> port range to use, so you could give each client a specific port range and
> DNAT that range to the respective hosts.
And that's what I had in mind when I said that "with the mms protocol we don't
have a choice of a UDP port?"
> However DNAT is always a mess!
Agreed here. It IS a mess.

| Georgi Georgiev    (-<     | I have accepted Provolone into my life!    |
| chutz at chubaka.net  /\   .o)|                                            |
| +81(90)6266-1163  V_/_ |(/)|                                            |