[MPlayer-users] How do I get a decent sized .avi file using mencoder?

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Mon May 27 01:45:02 CEST 2002

> Will that actually make a *much* smaller .avi output though. I tried the
> following command line, and got a 2.7gb AVI, instead of 2.2gb.
>
> mencoder -dvd 1 -vop scale=720x480  -ovc lavc -lavcopts
> vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=4800:vhq:keyint=250:vpass=2 -sws 0 -o title1.avi

For a general-purpose DVD rip, vbitrate=4800 is really high. 800 to 1000
should still give you near-DVD quality.

I don't know if it matters, but the documented syntax for scale is
scale=width:height. The filter seems to work either way, though.

Also, in my experience it is better to use -ofps 23.976 when ripping
most DVDs. If mencoder gives you a lot of duplicate frame messages,
almost definitely do this. Search google for telecine or 3:2 pulldown if
you're curious.

-Corey