[MPlayer-users] How do I get a decent sized .avi file using mencoder?

Austin Gonyou austin at digitalroadkill.net
Sun May 26 22:43:02 CEST 2002

On Sun, 2002-05-26 at 04:07, marco.gigante at tiscalinet.it wrote:
> On 25 May 2002, Austin Gonyou wrote:

> > When enconding a DVD to AVI(DivX5), I can see the VOB on the disc at
> > 1gb, but after encoding, my .avi is about 2.2gb. Yet, I changed the
> > aspect to be smaller, and also used a low bitrate, say, about 1800, or
> > even 1000.
> >
> > I figure those two things right there would make a difference, but I
> > can't seem to figure it out. Any tips on this would be great.
> >
> > AMD Athlon-C 1.333
> > 512MB DDR 266
> > 40GB ATA100 IBM
> > Cheapo DVD from Fry's.
> >
> > mencoder -dvd 1 -alang en  -ovc divx4 -divx4opts  br=1600 -pass 1
> > -aspect 640:400 -o somefile.avi
>
> Use 3-pass mode.
> Read html docs.
I'm assuming that 3-pass is *in* the html docs. I've not seen any
reference to it, of course, I've always been trying to do this after
several hours of playing FFX, so I've been pretty fried. :)

Will that actually make a *much* smaller .avi output though. I tried the
following command line, and got a 2.7gb AVI, instead of 2.2gb.

mencoder -dvd 1 -vop scale=720x480  -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=4800:vhq:keyint=250:vpass=2 -sws 0 -o title1.avi

> Why you are using divx4/5? With libavcodec you get best resoults.

For some reason, libavcodec wouldn't compile, so in this case I just
used what I had. I recompiled with 0.90pre4, and all is well as far as
that part is concerned.