[MPlayer-users] mencoder often COMPLETLY locks up my machine

Diego Zuccato diego at otello.alma.unibo.it
Wed May 22 14:57:02 CEST 2002

Gerhard den Hollander wrote:

> did you try things like:
> (esp. since you can telnet into the box)
It's not ME the one who can telnet into the box. When I say "completly",
I mean completly. Else I's say smt like "locks the keyboard" (or X
session, or terminal...).
> -> boot laptop w/o X
> -> make sure you have all messages to syslog
> -> telnet in and run top
> -> telnet in and run tail -f /var/log/allmessages
> -> telnet in again and run truss mencoder
Simply, the three terminals lock. No messages :-(
I'm getting mad with this lockup...

> Use a relatively stable kernel
2.4.18-acpi - it's the best I tried till now. Older ones didn't support
proper ACPI management and often reached temp limit.

> What are the hardware/software specs ?
HW: Acer TM525TE (only upgraded HDD with the 30GB IBM drive).
SW: Mandrake 8.0 heavily upgraded (f.e. gcc-3.0.3...), ex-latest
mencoder CVS.
It's all in the bugreport. Useless to repeat (incomplete) here...

Well, I think I'll have to live with it... I'll encode on another box.

BYtE,
 Diego.