[MPlayer-users] "What card do you suggest me to buy?"

Gerhard den Hollander gerhard at jason.nl
Wed May 22 09:02:01 CEST 2002

* Corey Hickey <bugfood-ml at fatooh.org> (Tue, May 21, 2002 at 09:42:03PM -0700)
> Funny how all of us are going to go out an buy a video card soon. I was
> tentatively planning on getting something like a GeForce3 any time
> before Neverwinter Nights is released. :)
> Regarding how well nVidia cards work with MPlayer, I've gotten the
> impression that the only driver problems are with older, pre-GeForce2
> models. Has anyone had problems with the newer cards? Of course, the
> closed source drivers are a definite minus, but if they work well I can
> live with that.

ve had the pleasure of testing a whole bunch of NVIdia cards
(geforce 2, 2 GTS, 2 MX, Quadro 2, geforce 3 and geforce 4 Ti )
mplayer support is excellent (well, excellent, it works like a charm).

Just make sure to get the latest (2890, expected to be released any time
soon now) drivers [2880 , the current is also pretty good]

[and yeah, opengl (quake3 &c) rules,
except we had issues with the 2880 drivers in our 3D software]

	Gerhard,  <@jasongeo.com>   == The Acoustic Motorbiker ==
--
   __O	Some say the end is near.
 =`\<,	Some say we'll see armageddon soon