[MPlayer-users] ASF files

gabor farkas gabor at realtime.sk
Mon May 20 14:15:02 CEST 2002

On Mon, May 20, 2002 at 01:22:44PM +0200, SMuelas wrote:
> Can anyone tell me what kind of file is a *.ASF file?
> MPlayer runs it wonderfully but I would like to know if I can append 2
> or more files or "recompile" (crop, resize ...) them with mencoder

i played a bit with asf files, so:

asf contains the same audio/video stream as an avi can contain..

the difference is that you can stream an asf file ( you cannot stream an
avi)...

the only problem with encoding or recoding or recompiling is that the
asf file doesn't contain any info about frame/sec...

so you have to specify it in mencoder..
like: mencoder -fps 25

the problem is that it's a hit/miss work... like you specify 25, and
mencoder begins to tell that he added frames... so you have to reduce
the fps value and begin again..
then mencoder tells that he skipped some frames, so you have to increase
the fps value a bit... and so on :-)

and, i tried as hard as i could, i couldn't get a 'perfect' avi file ...

it's perfect 99.9% of time, but there are some very minor glitches...

i think it's because of the fps... i don't know the internals of the asf
format, but maybe tthey have a bit variable fps?

bye,
gabor