[MPlayer-users] mencoder often COMPLETLY locks up my machine

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Sat May 18 13:19:01 CEST 2002

Something at least similar happened to my machine yesterday as I was
starting to rip a DVD. My system is otherwise completely stable- hasn't
had a hardware crash since last Christmas, when I had it overclocked a
bit too far. :>)

Mencoder seemed like it hung, and the DVD access light was solid-on. I
started to type a kill from another terminal, when everything froze
completely. I didn't know about the magic sysrq, but I couldn't even
ping my IP from another system on the LAN.

The last gasp in syslog was:

May 17 04:56:25 bugfood kernel: scsi0: ERROR on channel 0, id 1, lun 0,
CDB: Request Sense 00 00 00 40 00
May 17 04:56:25 bugfood kernel: Current sd0b:01: sense key Medium Error
May 17 04:56:25 bugfood kernel:  I/O error: dev 0b:01, sector 64

I don't know if this was a software problem in the SCSI emulation or a
hardware problem somewhere in IDE. In any case, this is the first and
only crash using mplayer/mencoder that way.

-Corey