[MPlayer-users] mencoder often COMPLETLY locks up my machine

Diego Zuccato diego at otello.alma.unibo.it
Fri May 17 16:18:01 CEST 2002

Jukka Tastula wrote:

> > Often (w/ about 1/3 probability) mencoder completly locks up my machine
> > while encoding a vcd (directly from cd or from an mplayer-ripped file
> > doesen't matter).
> This really sounds like a hardware problem. Are you overclocking your
> cpu/memory (not enough cooling/voltage?)? Maybe your hdd is failing?
> Too long IDE cables? Inadequate power supply?
It's a laptop. It usually runs UNDERclocked. Never had lockup troubles,
EXCEPT 4 times in 2 days, and ONLY when using mencoder... Not even when
compiling the kernel... Quite strange that's NOT related to mencoder...
BTW, RamStressTest reports no failures, kernel compiles well, mplayer
works (except for trashing part of the video memory). So I'd look at
ANYTHING but hardware :-)

> Anyway, it can't be mencoder's fault that your system locks up. Maybe a kernel
> bug if its not the hardware?
uhm... This might be. BUT what can it be ? It must be something that
gets exposed JUST by mencoder. It's not related to VCD reading (mplayer
dumped the stream without troubles), it's not related to CPU load... And
it's something that gets stuck at 100% CPU use...

What could I look at ?

BYtE,
 Diego.