[MPlayer-users] Aspect ratio issue

Stephen Davies steve at daviesfam.org
Fri May 17 12:01:03 CEST 2002

On 17 May 2002, Ervin [iso-8859-1] Németh wrote:

> Problem:
> Mplayer is assuming that the screen has square pixels, however some
> resoultions have non-sqaure pixels.  I'm using 1280x1024 and a 4:3 video has
> black stripes on both sides when viewed fullscreen.

MPlayer has an option by which you can tell it your screen aspect.  See
-monitoraspect.

> The right thing were to calculate movie aspect-ratio respecting screen
> aspect-ratio.  See WidthMMOfScreen(3x) and HeightMMOfScreen(3x)

These work based on DisplaySize set in the XF86Config.  But this parameter
is rarely there and rarely set correctly.  (It should be set by actually
measuring the raster).  Also, this is not helpful for all the non-X modes.

I suggest that you measure the actual aspect of your monitor and set the
-monitoraspect parameter...

Steve