[MPlayer-users] Mencoder and oggvorbis /ogm

steffen stef22 at gmx.de
Thu May 16 14:44:02 CEST 2002

Hi steffen,

on Wed, 15 May 2002 11:00:43 +0200 you wrote:

> [Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html]
> Hi there!
>
> Since I've read the list now for a while , I have some questions
>
> Is it right , that Mplayer plays .ogm files? Does mplayer use the OggDS
> filter or is it done bye some own code ? ( interesting because of
chaptering
> support and in-stream subtitles)

>Yes, it play them. It's our own code, but we still don't have the spec about
>chaptering and subtitles. Any technical info would be nice. I asked the
>author of the DS filter, but the only awnser I got was : thx for the linux
>support, but the track selection don't work.
>So if you have some sample with multiple audio track I will be happy to fix
>it. I'll reask for some info to add chapetering and subtitles but not now as
I>'m busy with the dxr2 output.
Oh I guess we did misunderstood us. I mean multichannel-audio like ac3 but
compressed with ogg-vorbis so you have nice 5.1-sound with 224kbit/s. I don't
know oggvorbis is now able to do this, but it was planned , I've read it
weeks ago that this feature of oggvorbis is near ready, so I thought
oggvorbis is now able to do this.

>> Can I compress audio to other formats than mp3? (aac/oggvorbis?)
>Currently no, it's planned but not for this release.
>> Are there plans to make it possible to mux to ogm (better a/v synchronity)
>> or
>> to integrate some mpeg4ip stuff (muxing to generic mpeg4) stuff?
>Same here, planned but not for 0.90.

So I will be patient .. ;o)

>I know that windoze ppl find ogm really better than avi, mainly because
>of the a/v sync issue they have with avi. But there isn't such problem with
>mplayer
>afaik.
Since you are right here, the main reason for me is ,that there are
error-correction of the stream in ogm and so it might be possible to burn
vcd-like cd's with mpeg4 stuff on it. So you have space for 800Mb of movie on
a 80min CD-R

>In fact I don't really liked these ogm. Why ? Vorbis audio is an exception
all
>time (ie. timestamp, etc must be handled in a different way), there is 2
>sort of stream header because the author decided to change it at some point.
>I don't know why because the 2 type contain the same information.
>But their is some good points like the timestamps in each page, the
>subtitles, etc
>I just hope that the design for the subtiles and chaptering is better that
>what I had to deal with ;)

So you think it's better to play arround with mpeg4ip to get generic mpeg4
streams with aac-audio ?

> I'm interested in that , because oggvorbis/aac does or should in near
future
> be able to compress to multichannel output , and create vcd-like cd's with
> mpeg4-compressed video should be possible with ogm or generic mpeg4
streams.
> (MCF-CD project)
>
> Hmmm i could install win to generate some cd's for testin', but maybe
> somebody does this already
>
> And a lot of thanx to the developer team of mplayer, great work !!!!!!!
>
> Greats
>
> ixi

        Albeu

So I was on doom9.org there I read a while. vorbis5.1 isn't  still usuable
till now since (if my information is right) channelcoupling still not
working, so the vorbis5.1 doesn't compress so much as it should... So maybe
it is right now not interesting. And till you have no time right now i will
be patient here to.
The second is that I really don't want use windows encoding tools anymore
since I tested mencoder. all the rip and vdub stuff is like pain in the ass
in compare with it.

Ixi